SYDNEY: The schedule for Australia’s series against India is under threat again after reports that the Indian players are unhappy at the prospect of re-entering strict quarantine for the fourth Test in Brisbane.
The third Test of the four-match series is scheduled to start out at Sydney Cricket Ground on Thursday after Cricket Australia decided to not move the match within the wake of an epidemic of Covid-19 cases within the city’s northern beaches.
On Monday, both team members will fly to New South Wales, to play third test on SCG, where reported eight new locally transmitted cases of the virus and ramped up social-distancing measures on Sunday.
Right now, Queensland state has closed its border with New South Wales and although agreement has been reached to permit the players to fly to Brisbane for the fourth Test on January 15, there’s uncertainty on what level of restrictions they’re going to face after having been in Sydney.
Reports within the Australian media said that India’s players, many of whom are in some sort of quarantine or other for 6 months, would refuse to travel if they were getting to be subjected to a tough lockdown.
A spokesman for the India team didn’t immediately answer an invitation for discuss the reports.
In start of the series, India’s players underwent 14 days of strict quarantine after their arrival in Australia but have since enjoyed more freedom while preparing for and playing matches in Adelaide, Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne.
There are still some restrictions and also, five Indian players were placed in isolation on Saturday after a video surfaced showing them eating inside a Melbourne restaurant on New Year’s Day.
The Australian and Indian cricket boards are investigating the alleged breach of biosecurity protocols with precedent suggesting the players could be fined for his or her actions.
Sydney, which at one stage seemed like losing the third Test to Melbourne, would be the foremost likely beneficiary if it had been decided to maneuver the fourth match from Brisbane.
John Barilaro, told reporters on Sunday that the government was that specialize in staging the third Test safely ahead of a crowd of up to 20,000 fans.
Barilaro added, “We’re getting to plan to the Test we’ve. If a chance arises post that, we’ll take that chance then.”
Batsman Matthew Wade said the Australian players had been told the protocols would be stricter in Brisbane but rejected the thought that there was now uncertainty over the schedule.
“There’s tons of talk out there except for us as a gaggle and me position personally, we’ll go Sydney and play the SCG then we’ll go the Brisbane and play the Gabba.”
“Until the powers that be play the door and tell us that that’s getting to change, we just roll onto subsequent game.”